Adapting your wardrobe after dealing with breast cancer can be challenging. Breast cancer treatment often leads to body changes such as weight loss or gain, loss of part or all of the breast or the loss of both breasts. As time goes by your body structure may shift and the way your muscles work will change. It’s a whole new world in terms of finding clothes that fit, flatter and make you feel good.
It is important to know that you don’t need to get rid of your existing wardrobe so don’t go and donate or throw away just yet. Here is a list of top 10 tips for adjusting your wardrobe to you can regain your confidence and feel like yourself again!
- Take some time to try things on; do this when you aren’t rushed or pressured. Have good lighting and a mirror available.
- Divide your clothes into 3 piles; Keep, Adjust or Repair & Say Goodbye
- The Keep and Adjust piles should be clothing that you really like, in fact only those outfits you can’t live without. Most of us have too much in our closets; now is a good time to discover the good and get rid of the clutter.
- Find a seamstress if you don’t sew. Even if you do sew a seamstress can guide you and help you identify what changes are needed to make a garment fit properly.
- Make sure your bra fits properly and your breast prosthesis restores symmetry and feels comfortable. Our Bressanté breast prostheses will do that for you because they are lightweight, soft and ADJUSTABLE. So important!
- Invite a friend with an eye for fashion to help you. Ask for his or her honest opinion about how an outfit looks. We are usually too critical about ourselves and the way we look. If the outfit doesn’t flatter or is uncomfortable you know what to do; say goodbye.
- With some minor alterations, your clothing can work for you. Consider where the garment is being worn and what you will be doing. Alterations may be different for evening wear as opposed to workout wear.
- Don’t sacrifice your personal style because you are self-conscious. There is probably a way to alter a favourite garment so you can enjoy wearing it again.
- Once you have purged, altered and feel good about your choices; buy something new. Outlet stores, second hand shops and swapping with friends are good ways to add something special to your wardrobe.
- Have fun dressing your new body. When you feel good about yourself it shows. Remember you have been through a lot. Be gentle and walk tall; you are awesome!
We have a pinterest page with FASHION INSPIRATION for women who have had a mastectomy. Check it out here and see some examples of what you will find below!